College Application Planning Strategies (CAPS)
At the Bowie Center, we continue to push forward with dedication and devotion to help students who are struggling and need additional academic support, as well as those who are gifted and striving to excel. My father, Dr. Harold Bowie, often referred to the importance of “breaking the status quo” when seeking new ways to improve personally and professionally. We continue to carry his passion for excellence in everything we do here at the Bowie Center.
College Application Planning Strategies (CAPS) is an individualized program that provides support to high school students planning for future college admission. Admission to college has never been more competitive than it is today. Colleges and universities are seeking well-rounded students who stand out from the crowd. College Admission Officers will measure and compare each applicant’s high school accomplishments including: academic success, extra-curricular activities, community service development, standardized test scores, and entrepreneur opportunities. We understand the anxiety associated with the college application process. This journey can be daunting and overwhelming when trying to make sure all of the pieces are in place for this important transition in your child’s life.
The CAPS program begins with a personal consultation between the student, the parent(s) and myself, during which we will outline and plan a time line to meet your specific long-term and short-term goals. The objectives we identify during this meeting will then be used to match your child with his/her CAPS coach. Having a CAPS Coach gives the student a key support person from now through graduation. Each CAPS Coach will be a positive mentor, helping the student to set and achieve specific goals while building confidence during each step of this journey.
Once we pair your child with a CAPS coach, they will begin their sessions. During these CAPS sessions, they will:
- Explore the potential need to schedule one-on-one tutoring sessions in the subject areas in which your child wants to improve.
- Devise a plan to prepare for the PSAT, AP, ACT, and/or the SAT exams. The Bowie Center offers Test Prep programs for each of these tests including free
unlimited practice tests.
- Plan for important nonacademic areas such as community service, leadership possibilities, extracurricular activities and entrepreneurship
- Construct a list of ideal colleges that meet the needs and expectations your child has for his/her college experience.
- Complete college applications and revise any essays and/or personal statements that are required.
- Prepare for college interviews to help your child make the best impression possible.
- Navigate through numerous college scholarship possibilities
The Bowie Center can provide the bridge that links each student to his/her college dreams. We know that you want the best for your child and understand that it is crucial to plan early and develop a distinctive profile that paints a vivid picture of what he/she has to offer as a college candidate. Our CAPS program will aid in the development of personal strategies, objectives, and goals that will maximize each individual’s academic and extracurricular strengths in an effort to build an application and resume that leads to stronger college options and scholarship opportunities. When the time draws near for college applications, we will guide each CAPS student from the first application through the acceptances and the final selection.
Should you have questions about this or any other program at the Bowie Center, please contact Molly Cook by filling out the contact form here, email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 901-474-1081 . We hope to hear from you soon.